mercredi 9 juin 2010

2 daiz

Ok so we have 2 days left. Tonight we have my dad’s friend Majeed’s mom coming over at around 5 (which means dad is going to go by sweets for her arrival- yesssss!) and then we are going to my dad’s uncle’s house for dinner. Maryam and I were absolutely DREADING this day for so long but we just found out that Marjan, Mehran, and Kamran are all going too so we heaved a collective sigh of relief.
Quest to find Dasa bala: So there’s this song that Maryam and I love and the only thing we knew about it was that we heard it in Mehran’s car and that it was maybe by the artist Arash. So we knew nothing about this song but we knew we had to find it. I literally used every internet search skill I possessed and after 2 hours I finally found the song. The only problem now is that our internet is too slow and we can’t download it- so Maryam and I, like freaks, have every night been staying up super late in hopes that maybe it’ll download faster later at night. No luck. I guess its good that we only have to be away from it for maybe 4 more days until we return to the wonderful world of pirating music that is America.
Dad thinks we are special ed: So a few nights ago I got really irritated because dad and his friends were talking about socioeconomic issues and I didn’t know enough specialized words to understand what was going on. So last night we ate dinner with dad’s old roommate in college and his family. They took us to this awesome restaurant themed like old Iran- so it was like cobblestone floors with Persian carpets, they had all these scenes of carpenters working and seamstresses sewing and every waiter was dressed like Aladdin, and they had live music which was amazing. But literally every 5 minutes in the conversation dad would turn to us and start translating everything that they were saying and it was so embarrassing/annoying. Once they were talking about movies and dad started translating to us in English even though all the words are THE SAME in both languages. The waiter was asking me what I wanted to drink and dad started yelling in English “Meena, just describe what you want” and then as if I somehow forgot how to speak English too, he started gesturing drinking something. Needless to say I was mortified and everyone in the restaurant probably thought I was a complete idiot. Another time I was talking to someone at a party and dad started translating what I was saying in Farsi to me. Only dad would think that I didn’t understand what I myself was saying. Maryam held my hands down because she knew I was going to get up and start yelling at him. Good thing Maryam is here or one of us would be dead by now, and I’m not talking about me.
June 12 is the year anniversary of the rigged Iranian elections and the police have decided to make a statement this time. Starting last night, every able police officer, revolutionary guard, army, etc have been lining every block of every major street and just standing there, looking straight ahead, feet shoulder width apart and their police shields in front of them. Basically anyone who tries to start the protest is going to get it. Someone was telling us yesterday that the basijis (the ones you really don’t want to get in trouble with) dress in plain clothes and pretend they are regular citizens. They listen in on conversations on buses or on the street or wherever and then take you in if they hear you talking bad about the government. One professor was heard talking bad about the government and the next day A basiji in plain clothes came and knifed him to death in his own office. Maryam and I are sooooo happy we fly out before the protests will begin. We will literally miss it by about 4 hours. Of course dad being a bad ass took a picture of the policemen all standing in the road (which is a capital offense depending on who you are) and I thought I was going to pee my pants I was so scared. Luckily no one saw. Then we were at the museum and Kamran stuck his middle finger up at the picture of the Ayatolla Khomeini and again I thought I was going to pee in my pants but somehow these people know how to be deviants without getting caught. I’m just trying to stay alive thank you.

Also to everyone writing to me on facebook I’m sorry that I’m not writing back but facebook is forbidden here and I can’t seem to hack the ban. So I’ll respond back to everyone after June 13 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire