mardi 8 juin 2010

3 days left :(

So now I’m super excited because I just talked to the Iranian @ers on the phone and we are all meeting on Thursday at 10am. I thought it was going to be like 4 of them but turns out like 12 of them want to come and meet us bahaha. I was going to host them at our house but maayyyyybe that’s too many people- I think grandma would have a heart attack. So we’re going to a coffee shop somewhere to chill- it’s going to be awesome. Also dad won’t stop talking to us in English and then when we tell him to stop he gets mad and starts talking really fast. So every day while dad takes his afternoon nap I’ve started hanging out with the maids and cleaning with them so I can learn slang.
Today we went to the museum of contemporary art and I made a profound realization- I hate contemporary art. It’s like a canvas that someone painted black and that’s art…are you kidding me?! I could make that in 2 seconds. Dad and I were so bored but Maryam liked it so we had to go through the whole gallery. But dad kept calling it the museum of “contemporary fart” and laughing hysterically. Then, since this joke is clearly hilarious and not at all something a 5 year old would say, he proceeded to call all his friends after the museum and tell them this joke he came up with about fart and laughing. I think I enjoyed that display more than the museum actually.
I can’t believe we are leaving in 3 days. I would be totally pissed but I came to this country totally unprepared- mostly because dad fed us lies about what it was going to be like. I didn’t bring a monteau ahead of time nor a headscarf which I should have done. Instead I bought one but didn’t realize that people only wear dark colored monteaus, so I look like a total foreigner in my bright red one.
But this is my kind of city/country. The headscarf and jacket you have to wear suck, but I love getting invited over to random people’s homes, I love drinking tea 5 times a day, I love eating bread and cheese and jam for breakfast, I love dressing up fancy for parties and not feeling like someone gravely misinformed you of the slack dress code, I love bartering and fighting for a good price for literally EVERYTHING, I love talking loud and waving my arms all over, and I love making friends with everyone I meet because this country is obsessed with being friends with everyone.
A side-note on bartering- Maryam and I are bartering masters. I can’t tell you our trick because I don’t want you people to steal it, but we get things for half price all the time and its awesome. Once and Iranian we were with asked us to get a good price for him because we could only get $2s off. We got $6 .
I’m trying to convince dad that we should climb up the mountain early in the morning and go to one of the tea houses higher up. We only have 3 more days though and the only day really we could do it would be Friday so idk if its going to happen. I’m sort of angry because I ran 3-4 miles every day for 2 months leading up to this trip so that I could expand my lung capacity in order to be able to get up the mountain (the altitude here is way higher and even walking in the city is super hard on your lungs so needless to say climbing a mountain is tough stuff here) and now it looks like I did that for nothing. But I guess its alright because we did go to a restaurant in the mountains yesterday, although we drove there. The restaurant we went to was so beautiful though!! We sat outside and ate next to this water fountain and the mountain behind us. Since we were sort of nestled in the mountain we had the natural air conditioning cooling us off too so it was really comfortable. Everyone was jokingly telling not to get used to this type of eating out because its very expensive…but what I didn’t tell them was that the prices at that restaurant are what a typical American restaurant charges and so for me its not expensive. I plan on coming back and eating at fancy restaurants in the mountains all the time- and only having to pay $10 for it is a super good deal!

I told the maids/nurses that we have to leave at 2am on saturday and be on the plane for like 15 hours straight and they were all like, 15 HOURS WITHOUT TEA?! And now they are all freaking out and trying to figure out ways I can have tea on the plane. Its so hilarious. I told them what kind of food they serve on the plane and I think one of them puked in her mouth a little bit. Its so funny because they can't afford to go on a plane so to them traveling by plane is this crazy ass concept that they will never have the discomfort of experiencing. I didn't bother admitting to them that I'm gross and secretly like airline food....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire