samedi 5 juin 2010

Stop Stop Stop talkin that blah blah blah

So the museum was closed yesterday and we couldn’t go- so we’re going today instead. We went to a party last night and a younger person at the party asked Maryam “Is the way your hair is right now the new style in America?” (Keep in mind everyone that Maryam’s hair still looks like a hot mess even in Iran). Maryam was kind of confused and asked why he thought that. He responded by saying, “well I just saw this American music video with this blond girl who had that same hair, her song was something about stop talking blah blah blah”. He was talking about Ke$ha HAHAHAHAHHA. Omg I will never stop making fun of Maryam’s hair resemblance to Ke$ha.
Here’s the thing about Persians. They all wear knock-off designer clothes and probably couldn’t spot a real Armani jacket if their lives depended on it, but when it comes to jewelry, they could smell your cheap, cubic zirconium ring from a mile away. They know their silver and stones, and they want them for the cheapest price possible.
Two days ago we went to this park of stone formations. It would have been awesome except my stomach was hurting the whole time. But there’s this one area where there is a waterfall and all around it is a stone wall . Up and down the stone wall are ledges where people can sit and look out at the park. And here is the most hilarious part, we got to the park way before a lot of people did (there was some event going on) and already every ledge seat was taken. Why? Because this ledge is Persian PARADISE. Not only can you sit on this thrown of a wall and look down at other people like royalty, but you can stare down everyone who walks by. If there are two things Persians love they are feeling important and staring at people. For this reason, Maryam and I dubbed it “the wall of critical Persians” and took a picture. Its awesome.
Another thing Persians can’t get enough of: picnics. I’ve never seen a country so inlove with picnics. Friday is like our Sunday here, but on Fridays literally nothing is open except some shops. So on Friday when Persians don’t have any work to do they all flock to the parks to sit down on the grass, drink tea, and eat bread. Of course they would all rather be out shopping, but since they can’t do that on Friday the next best thing to do is picnic. Fakhri asked me if I picnic in America and when I said I actually don’t really like picnics slash nature she looked at me like I had just taken off my hijab in front of a police officer. She even had me convinced that I had done something wrong. Note to self, never admit to hating nature around Iranians.

Iranian soap operas are the BEST THING EVER. I mean literally I think Maryam and I could make a better quality program with her $50 Canon digital camera. The episode I just watched featured two of the main characters riding in a car….for 10 minutes….literally saying nothing. There was almost no dialogue of any kind for 10 minutes. I started complaining that it was more boring than I thought any soap opera could ever be and Fakhri chided me for being an impatient American. I’m not impatient, I just like my trashy tv trashy, not boring.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire